My main, completed almost, button above was done with colored pencils, layered with some markers. I found the result a little difficult to lay down ink over the waxy pencil. I tried using white charcoal pencil, but ended up with the white Zentangle pencil.
I got the idea of trying an art spinner to lay down some base color from Eni Oken. I have been experimenting today with different pens/markers and a little water color. I found an art spinner at Michaels that was battery-driven and pricier than I had planned to spend, but I had a coupon, so it came home with me yesterday. The following attempts use different markers.
I next tried the Spectrum Noir pens on cardstock. It had even less coverage than on watercolor paper, but still an interesting effect. One thought is that the white spaces may work into a highlighted area when tangled. After all, I'm looking at these spins as just a starting point. I think I could sit with this spinner just making circles all day. I also have a lot of watercolor pieces left from making the watercolor explosion boxes. I am getting some ideas now of what to do with them!