Sunday, January 18, 2015

Welcome!

A very Happy New Year and Welcome to my new readers! I have been blogging since 2007 with my other blog, Crafterdays, still ongoing. I love crafts, so when I discovered Zentangle®
a few years ago, it was inevitable that I would go to the Certification Seminar with Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, the founders of Zentangle. Our seminar was November 11-13, 2013. We ended on the 13th, we were the 13th group CZT's and it was the year 2013. We felt extremely lucky, however. I did something I never thought of doing before - I signed up for a roommate that I had never met! I am so glad I did. I met so many wonderful people and had automatic friends to spend time with. I highly recommend this to anyone attending alone.

I have been fortunate to teach for the last year through our local Arts Council. I have again met so many students who have fallen in love with the peace as well as the creativity that comes from tangling.

For the past few months, I've been learning to do craft classes online through Shirley Pando and Jeri Parks. I've learned so much from these ladies. I have been rethinking, though, exactly what I'd like to do with this knowledge. Do I want to do traditional online Zentangle classes aimed at those who live too far from any CZT's? Do I want to do various crafts along with Zentangle or in combination? This would be my preference due to my interest in scrapbooking, gourd design, multimedia art, etc. I also love to do my fiber arts - spinning, weaving, knitting and crochet.The websites have proven too cumbersome and I am learning now to make the videos I love to do and transfer them onto DVD's for home use. I can sell them through etsy without having to maintain websites on my own.

I think what made up my mind was realizing that my own tangling had taken a backseat to the online class production. Those of you who have never produced your own videos for the web have no idea the time consumed. Each video must be in the right format and must be hosted by an outside site unless you're giving it away for free such as on YouTube and unless it's under a certain size.  So, from Adobe Premiere Elements to Format Factory to Vimeo to my class site. As I said, time consuming.
There is also an incredible amount of sharing within the Zentangle community. I'd like to give back some of what has been shared with me. I will be posting some short tutorials as well as new tangles and maybe an occastional challenge. My wish to do online classes will be pursued through offering packaged classes through my etsy shop, Tangled Moons. My good friend and fellow teacher, Kathy Capen, has agreed to test drive the Hummingbird Class on her own. My sister, Rheta Russell, who has never done Zentangle before, did the lessons with me and did very well. When I get their feedback to post, I will offer these classes as well as others.

I received a Cricut Explore from my mother as a birthday gift last May. The possibilities of combining the Explore and Zentangle has been fun! There are some beautiful images to cut out draw with gel pens from this machine. I know that Zentangle in its purity is nonrepresentational and unplanned. I love just sitting down to a blank tile and drawing patterns until it's filled. I've also enjoyed participating in Ben Kwok's Facebook page where people use his wonderfully beautiful templates, mostly of animals, to embellish with tangles. So, why not do the same thing with Cricut images?




No comments:

Post a Comment